Friday, February 18, 2011

Yum Truffles (Raw, GF, Vegan)

Such a simple recipe, but really really good! The soaking of the almonds makes it so that the rolls are softer. I make these 2 different ways, one rolled in coconut flakes & the other rolled in carob powder. I never really consumed dates much until noticed that just about every fruit & nut bar at the grocery store used dates in them. I started making these, and now adore using dates.


1 C raw almonds, soaked 24-48 hours
*1/2 C packed, dates, pitted
1 tsp vanilla
2-4 Tbs carob powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
unsweetened coconut flakes OR additional carob powder

Put soaked almonds into a food processor for about 1 minute. Then add dates in about 3 different groupings mixing well between. Now add in vanilla and carob (or cocoa) powder.
If an enjoyable change, add another extract to the mix, just 1 tsp. Ex: Orange extract (orange and chocolate go great together), coconut extract (esp if you roll the balls in coconut), cherry, lemon, mint or almond extract.
Roll into 1-2 in balls and roll in coconut flakes or carob powder.
I keep mine in the fridge, but that's because I like it when they are cold and semi-firm. You can do whatever you'd like.


*I suggest buying dates with the pits in, because they stay soft MUCH longer that way. I know it's a bit of a pain pulling out the pits, but it's turns out to be a better product when you do.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie gave me this recipe a while ago and I just got around to making them and they are awesome!! Thanks Amber!

    ReplyDelete