Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Quinoa Onion Cheese Scone (GF, Vegan)

It looks like I fell off the face of the planet, I promise I didn't! I know, 6 months between postings, no good! I just got back from a vacation in New York City, first time there, and it inspired me to do some stuff. Not that I haven't been cooking lately, cuz I'm in the kitchen like a mad woman (my boyfriend can attest to this), it's just that I don't usually write things down or take pictures of what I make.

So one of the days while in NYC, I went to Baby Cakes Bakery, a vegan (soy-free, nut-free, mostly: gf & refined sugar free) bakery. I didn't know what to choose from, there were so many great choices. My boyfriend ended up getting a 'veggie cheese biscuit' that was GF & really good, kind of a cross between a biscuit and a scone. Of course I had to try my hand at something similar. I wasn't going for the exact same thing, because I had some quinoa that I wanted to use in it as well. Without further adieu...


Quinoa Onion Cheese Biscone
Makes 6 large scone/biscuits

1 1/4 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 cup quinoa precooked
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
2 tbs nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp favorite herb mix (I used Bragg Sprinkle)
2 tsp coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1 cup daiya pepper jack shreds (if you aren't vegan, can sub sharp cheddar or regular pepper jack)
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 of an avocado
3/4 cup almond milk
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped grilled onions (grilled makes it not as strong of an onion taste)

Preheat the oven to 400 F

Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda,salt, pepper flakes, yeast flakes, herbs, sweetener, garlic powder and onion powder together.

Take a fork & blend the avocado in with the rest of the mix, it will start to form a bit of a crumb. Then mix in the quinoa, cheese and grilled onion.

Add the lemon juice to the milk and mix, then add it to the dry mixture.

Using a spoon bring the mixture together quickly. Try not to knead it.

If you want it to be more scone like, lightly grease a cookie sheet & form dough into a 5 inch round circle, but don't flatten your scone dough. Slice into 6 slices like you are slicing a pie.
If you want them to be more biscuit like, separate into 6 balls of dough & place on lightly greased cookie sheet, flatten slightly. I sliced mine in half just so have smaller portions if I wanted them.

Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven & let it sit for about 5-10 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment