Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Chana Saag (Alkaline, GF, Vegan)

Every time I go to an Indian buffet for lunch, I find that I adore the chickpea (garbanzo bean) dishes that they have. Indian food usually has a good amount of vegan dishes that are naturally vegan (instead of veganized, if that's a word), which I adore.
For those of you who don't normally eat indian food, it may "look scary" but really tastes great. My mom was a bit freaked out by it, but tried some and then ended up having a whole serving after discovering it tastes quite good! My hint is, get a little bowl and put all of the spices in it measured out, then when it's time to put them all in, you just dump the bowl. ENJOY!!

 
2 Tbs oil of choice (I used olive)
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. garam masala
1/8 tsp cardamom
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cayenne
1 tsp. sea salt
4 roma tomatoes (or like size) chopped
1 lb spinach, chopped well
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed several times

1/2 cup almond milk (or other nondairy milk)

Saute onions and garlic in oil until the onion is translucent.  Add all the spices and saute for a minute or two more before adding chopped tomatoes.  Let simmer for about 10 minutes stirring often, then and the rest of the ingredients.  Spinach looks like a lot, but cooks down considerably. Simmer them for at least another 10 minutes then add in the almond milk, mix well and cook for about 2 min.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I love Indian food. I can't wait to try it!! I am impressed you got your mom to eat Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this today! Loved it! Very good recipe. This was my first attempt at Indian food, and I must say that it was a lot easier than I expected. Too bad my parents don't care for Indian food...

    ReplyDelete