Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Luau Salad (GF, Raw, Vegan)

Still going strong on my 100% raw diet, a little less than a week to go.  I'm feeling great, lots of energy and my insides feel good. Not that I was feeling bad at all before, this is just what I have been noticing. I'm thinking it's a combo of the 100% raw cleanse that I'm doing and considerable amounts of structured water I have been drinking.
This is seriously such a great salad, and so colorful too! The dressing is a sweet citrus dressing, almost a creamy vinaigrette. I was so excited to sit down and eat it, and I wasn't the least bit disappointed. I don't think you will be either. ENJOY!!

easiest way to cube mango, cut into a grid & then flip inside out & cut apart from the skin
 


Serves A LOT, maybe 10

1 head Red Leaf Lettuce, rough chopped
1 1/2 C Spinach, rough chopped
1 cucumber, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, diced
5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 mango, cut into cubes
1/3 C Pineapple, chopped
1/3 C macadamia nuts, soaked for 20 min rinsed thoroughly & medium chopped
2 Tbs unsweetened coconut
1 Mandarin Orange, peeled and segemented

Optional Garnish
2 Tbs unsweetened coconut
2 Tbs Sunflower Seeds

Dressing
Juice of 2 Mandarin Oranges/Clementines
1/3 C Olive Oil
1/3 C Raw Agave Nectar
1/3 C Lime Juice
1 Tbs Raw Almond Butter
1 tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp Orange Flavor/Extract (I used Simply Organic's Orange Flavor)
1/2 tsp RealSalt (Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt works also)
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Sesame Seeds
dash of Ground Cardamom


Combine all salad ingredients in large salad bowl and mix. If you are going for presentation, reserve 1/4 of the mango and 1-2 Tbs of the macadamia nuts to place on the top of the salad along with the optional garnish. To make the dressing, just put all ingredients into a small bowl and stir together really well. I also had it in a container with a lid and shook it up to make sure everything was mixed well. You can toss the salad with the dressing, although I have found that it is nice to just have the dressing in a separate container for individuals to add as they please. Plus, it allows the salad to keep longer if it isn't devoured in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment