Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Puffed Kamut Treats (Vegan)

 I always love a simple recipe with only a few ingredients that tastes great, and one is!

My mom used to make something called puffed rice balls, when I was growing up. I loved those things! It was puffed rice coated with carmel and rolled into balls.  This recipe is like a cross between those and rice krispie treats, but a much healthier vegan version of them both.

I don't really do rice now, and I didn't want to have a rice cereal that has pointless sugar added to it (even the stuff at the health food store), so I used some puffed Kamut that I had. You can use puffed whatever though; corn, millet, rice, wheat. They don't turn out as sticky as traditional rice krispie treats do, or as sticky as my mom's puffed rice balls were.

I gobbled these things down! They are yummy, and not too sweet... well, to me they aren't.

Modified from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan Nicer Krispie Squares recipe.


3 1/2 c puffed kamut (you can use puffed rice or puffed millet instead)
1/2 c almond butter
1/3 c agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
**1/4 tsp agar flakes
1/2 tsp RealSalt (or sea salt)

Over medium-low heat, put agave and agar flakes in a pot, stirring for about 2 min. Add almond butter, vanilla and real salt. Stir until smooth, add in puffed grain in 1/2 cup increments, coating completely. Then press into a brownie pan with parchment paper on the bottom and cool in the fridge until set.

You could make them into balls if you wanted to by rolling them into balls and placing them on parchment paper or waxed paper.


**You can ditch the agar flakes, but they will lose some of the firmness.  What are agar flakes you might be wondering...
Agar Agar is a vegetarian gelatin substitute produced from a variety of seaweed vegetation. It is sold in health food stores in both flake and powder varieties, and can be used in a variety of dairy-free and vegan recipes as a stabilizing and thickening agent for custards,puddings, sauces and even vegetarian marshmallows.

Link to entire agar agar info page 

No comments:

Post a Comment